Fredericton — Earlier this week Tim Hortons, the staple Canadian coffee chain, announced they would be increasing the price of their hot beverages ordered through the drive-thru to include a mandatory tip, which staff have been keeping anyway.
The decision was made largely due to the massive number of complaints about drive-thru employees assuming any change from an order would be given to them, and the increase is also intended to help Tims employees recover from the debt owed to the store from substantial overspending on Timmies gift cards as presents.
“Sometimes people sit at the window expecting their change back, which obviously is super annoying and incredibly rude,” said high-schooler Abby Johnson, a part-time weekend employee at the Regent Street Tim Hortons.
“We put in like five or seven hours a weekend here with one of our arms being cold the whole time…we deserve the 80 cents when someone orders a large.”
Ryan Wooler, a fellow drive-thru employee working at different Fredericton-area franchise, shares the feeling of entitlement with Johnson.
“We are expected to stand there for a couple hours at a time and work…no one should be expected to suffer through that type of physical labour and not get tipped for it. Can you imagine the impact this will have on my body by the time I’m 30? We deserve to be compensated extra!”
The Manatee reached out to a local franchise owner, who prefers to remain anonymous, for comment on why only hot beverages will invoke the mandatory tip rule.
“We tend to only see coffee or latte orders in the drive-thru, where we stick the annoying little shits. The increase really is to cover the overtime of them calling in sick, tired, or Fortnite.”
Customers will see the increase take effect on Monday.
I love reading these comments just for the people who don’t get that this is a satire article. Seriously people, get the stick out your a** and laugh a little instead of getting irate over a damn joke.
I could tell it wasnt a real article right away. People arent very bright, so it’s fun to wind them up and watch them go.
If you dont like your job or feel your employer is not paying you enough for your duties then quit. Dont complain about other people not giving you their hard earned money because you copped out and picked a job your not happy with how much you make.
I’m a mom who worked in a CASKET companny where we work verry hard for what we are payed ,my youngest son was working in a TIM and he was making more than me so stop with the bull s….!!
I have to laugh at them saying it’s such hard physical labor. ITS TIM HORTONS! If you don’t like the aspects of your job, CHANGE JOBS. Don’t expect the customer to pay extra for YOUR inconvenience. And if the company thinks they deserve more money then the COMPANY should pay it!!!
I do agree that the idea of this is crazy but it really is hard physically. Burns, cuts, standing in a drive through window when it’s -38 for 8 hours
Then you should get a soft job like .paving rds , I work holding a shovel 12 hrs a day in all kinds of weather and conditions I think I should get extra compensation for making sure your rds are good so you can goto your Tim’s. Lmao!!
i do agree with you amanda, the client are free to let tip or not. that’s rude of the tim horton, well i will have to get my coffee at somewhere else or do it at home
Then why don’t you go an see for your god damn self! I’ve worked there for 8 years doing everything down to baking and working the front before switching jobs an it is a hard working job especially with hot beverages around you, possibly burning yourself, standing at the window for 8 hours in the freezing cold even the summer it gets bad with all the hot machines, or even other medical problems with having carpal tunnel or tennis elbow which I got from working there so long by pouring all you ungrateful ignorant people your coffee you so desperately need to get you through the day! You have to deal with shit customers probably one like yourself it seems! Thinking we don’t deserve the same respect or even a small tip like you would at any other place! Especially if you want friendly accurate service!
yes sir!!! Crazy eh!!! These are some of the people that will be running the country!!! WTF!!!!
Waaaaaaaa. I work as a replenishment associate, unloading semi truck trailers, by hand in all kinds of weather, cold, hot and in between and no one tips me for doing my job. Get over yourself and get a real job, then worry about how hard you work. Oh and I put in more hours in one shift then you do.
I think it’s absolutely stupid and if that’s the case then they should get paid serving wages and not regular minimum wage. Drive thru is a part of the job especially fast food and if that’s not what you want to do then get another job, period!
This is the problem I find living in Canada. Tipping is expected for everything from drive through, barbers, taxi drivers, etc. Here in Ontario we make $14.00 minimum wage at most jobs, which I feel in comparison to other countries is a good rate of pay. Do you tip the grocery clerk or the department store Walmart employee when they ring you through? I guarantee you they are making the minimum wage as well. So why does a person making $14.00 an hour serving hot drinks and donuts to customers think they deserve to keep the tips. That should be a choice given to the customer. I go to Japan and visit my daughter and tipping is not acceptable over there whatsoever in any way, shape or form. It is an insult to tip and maybe we should take some lessons from their lifestyle, which shows the utmost respect and dignity towards their fellow customers.
Well try living here in Newfoundland where the minimum wage is $11.15 per hour.
I’d love that Jason because I live in the US and our minimum wage is 7.25 an hour here, same as it’s been for over a decade. And we don’t have universall health care either. Living in Canada is my dream.
Then come on over all is welcome
Nova Scotia, the minwage is $10.85
Nova Scotia minimum wage is $11\hr
People this is satire news
Satire meaning NOUN
the use of humor, irony, exaggeration, or ridicule to expose and criticize people’s stupidity or vices, particularly in the context of contemporary politics and other topical issues.
mockery · ridicule · derision · scorn · caricature · irony · sarcasm
The entitled little snowflakes don’t deserve the tips. They aren’t entitled to someone elses money. If they don’t like their jobs go find a different job.
This is my thoughts on Tim Hortons,
1. First of all, to the person who wrote this sham, there is so many spelling errors and gammers problems, you want to write an article make you learn how to spell and get your grammar right.
2. If you all want more money ask for a dam raise and don’t call the working people little shits.
3. Tim Hortons donates for the kids and if any tips are given for reaching your arm out or bring food to the waiters from not working fast enough as it is a fast paste coffee store, should be given to the kids AKA Camp for kids and Sick Kids Hospital.
4. Any complaints should not be towards the customers as they pay your wages no offence to you all as I’m sure you all work just as hard as the working person.
5. And if there is any debate, over presents and gift cards cut it out, do a secret Santa or something as there is a lot of companies that do.
6. The change from you goes to our next coffee and I’m sure we’re all just as not rich for a lot out there like you AKA Tim Hortons asking for our change NoW for you reaching out your hand to pass our coffee.
7. Tim Hortons built the drive-through and if you all can’t figure a way out for the cold or for the fact the BEEs and the flies, that get in there then Tim Horton should do something else as we do suffer too when we drive through AKA Bees and possible stings.
8. There are companies that will help with debt instead of taking it from the Camp For Kids or other donate companies Tim Hortons Provides also sponsors, Tim Horton customers should get a raise or a different pay for working in the drive through as I here you we all work for a living.
9. Don’t ever ask for money from customers or take there change or for the fact rip them off, never beg for your money we all work here.
10. This is offensive to us paying customers and will only drive us away thinking you want 80 more sent when we all have a coffee Jar or something like that meaning, for to help our next coffee on the run.
11. I totally get the bitching as I’m sure we all want to complain about the labour we all have to do to make people happy or even for the fact do your job to pay.
12. The most important thing about Tim Horton customers are now going to worry or even regulars getting something done to our food or drinks.
13. It’s all over the news about the customers getting stuff put in there food or drink of we complain or say anything about something is wrong with our order. The point here is for Tim Hortons is, there are either understaffed or don’t want to pay the new wage, and now they are asking the customers to pay the new wage and we all pay our taxes.
14. There are endless reasons I could bring up but if the customer wants to tip then so be it but just remember you are taking away from the kids we all donate for Camp etc. We’re going to either tip you or help a child go camping and my tip is going to the children as they are more important than the bitching about reaching your arm out or something that you could feel good about just having a job or making your customer happy.
15. Everyone is not rich!!!!! But I’m sure Tim Hortons could help the aka their people workers Tim Hortons s employees to make them happy about even work g at Tim Horton’s point being Tim Hortons pay the working your employee’s extra money that they want to work in the drive through or get rid of it.!!!
16. Think of something before making us feel like we’re little shits when you don’t know why that person needed that 80 cents which could have been a donation or for their children as it already expensive as it is to buy a coffee to get us going to compute.
Need I say more.
My reasoning is done with no malice or prejudices against anyone working at Tim Hortons or Tim Horton itself just should be someone to standing up for the people and say or even help in any way.
Of course, this is done anonymously.
Damn, I hate it when a satirical news story has “gammers” problems.
Don’t you know it and what a sham for more action for Tim Hortons making the people pay for them when it can go to the kids
Yes there are some spelling or grammar mistakes but this program you have it on who did this mentioning has a shit widget
What are we just stop f****** going to Tim Hortons shooting shut the f*** was down f****** Hortons and f*** to stop lazy bastards
Wow settle down dude and you make no sense
You have so many grammatical errors. 1. “gammers” on #1 it is grammar, 2. On #2 you wrote “Dam”…it is Damn. I could go on, but I think I made my point…This is not even including your non-existence use of commas, run-on sentences and sentence structural issues!! Please do not criticize when you are no English major!! Some people’s education!!
Wow seriously because your arm is cold from sticking it out what about the people who work at nursing homes and get paid shit money they don’t get tipped STFU
this is a joke the article is a joke get it look at top banner it says Satire News
You won’t see me at Tim Hortons anytime soon
Yeah…it’s a joke…
you know its ungratefull employees like you that piss me off. tips are earned not demanded or expected. if you give a customer good service then it is up to the customer to decide if they want to leave you a tip. I will stop going to tims if this happens the tims I go to is bad enough with the slow staff they have now it will get worse.
An to tims I you are losing money with tims cards stop selling them don’t pass the cost of to your customers if I buy a 20 dollar card I only get 20 dollars no more no less.
so should we hafto pay a tip when they mess up on making your coffee or give u worm as piss coffee I think they should put there wages up not make us pay for it just shows Tim Horton franchise is cheep and just out to make as much money as they can
Physical labour??? Common u wouldn’t know physical labour if it hit u in the face
Mother fucker holding your hand out the window is phisical labour that will have a effect on ur body when ur 30 wake up and get a real job I work 64 hours a week in a machine with no ac or heat and bust my fucking ass and break my back and don’t complain and ur talking bout the effect that cold will have on your fingers ? Fuck you.
I worked at Tim’s for 8 months easiest fucking job I ever had so don’t complain bout what ur making when you do fuck all all day. Fucking monkey ?
Yes. I remember you at Tim’s. You were let go for grabbing men’s behinds and you were the laziest employee there was. Lol. Apparently you’ve toughened up? Not likley.
Wow I’m a waitress and dont even get tipped every table, ur handling coffee out window y would u get a tip? If I have to start tipping I wont be going back to Tim hortons anymore itll save me a bunch of money
Physical labour ?!? Army guys get tips for extra push ups or ??Overtime ??
I worked at a tim Hortons for a year and a half. The tips were nice yes but I worked window coffee and graveyard shifts… TIPS ARE NOT A RIGHT ONLY A PRIVILEGE
If your employer can’t pay you a living wage it’s time to find a job that does expecting someone to give you a tip for doing your job by handing the customer a coffee through a drive through window is to much work and your not happy with you job then leave. I will not be going to any Tim Hortons again in the future if that’s the case.
Here’s and idea for what tim hortons charges for coffee I buy 2 extra larges at 4.83 for 2 u know what bring the coffee prices back to 120 a coffee and maybe the employees will get more tips that way I bust my ass to hard every day to make a lousy buck and u want me to donate all my change for someone sticking their arms out a fucking window really do my job where ur in the outside cold for 8 10 hours ago someone gonna pay me more money to do that these people need to suck it up and do ur damn jobs if not like everyone is saying quit ur jobs and go else where what makes u so God damn special wow this if fucking crazy shit pisses me right of cause of babies wow
I get that this is satire/not real, but I don’t get why it’s supposed to be funny.
I commented before I realized the fake news. Whoops. I believe that it’s supposed to point out how people complain about the crappy part of work, and not realizing that working at Timmies can really suck and we take it for granted!
It’s called extortion! Straight up. Thanks you don’t get change back, you’ll be late for your real work. I don’t wanna get paid for part of my job!
I go to Tims drive thru everyday and I think tips should depend on the service you get.
One of these errors occur every single time I go to the drive thru:
(1) They throw your food at you.
(2) I don’t get exactly what I asked for.
(3) They were not pleasant at the window
With this being said, of the four Tim Hortons in town the overall service falls below the standards where it should be and I think improvement has to come from management.
Until then, I will continue to be a Tims customer butI am not endorsing or supporting for tipping as an option.
Lool. I take shits harder then you snowflakes crying about how hard it is to make coffee
Maaaaan yo ass outta just shut up and give a nigga his change you make coffee shut yo bitch ass up go get a real job if you want real money
A coffee business that can’t get my order right 85% of the time wants gratuities? Ummmmm NO. I think they should put more thought and effort into training. The art of stirring a coffee escapes these workers more often than not. I can’t even order my favourite drink because they haven’t a clue how to make it. I take a large Earl Grey tea 3 cream 2 sugar. Even if I get cream and not milk, 9 times out of 10 it’s not stirred. They don’t want to break the tea bag. Oh for heaven sakes. Put the cream and sugar in, then the hot water, the best part stir, then put tea bag in, another easy stir. Serve. It’s simple but they are not trained right. To all 2 of you who do it properly I will tip you, but not the others thanks.